Inventions and discoveries that give us glimpses of a possible future working with nature rather than exploiting it.
- The stunning Ring Garden is “adesalination plant, rotating aeroponics farm, and algae bioreactor in one”, designed to “harvest seawater, CO2, and the sun’s energy to create food, biomass, and fresh water.”
- Safe Water Cube can purify up to 1,000 L of water (from river, sea, well or pond) per day without electricity or maintenance. On the same topic, here are 6 natural ways to purify water, without any technology.
- Envigreen: Solving India’s massive plastic bag problem with “plastic” bags made of potato and tapioca, that can become animal food on disposal.
- Biodegradable algae water bottle provide a green alternative to plastic
- Beer company develops edible six-pack rings that feed rather than kill marine life.
- Ecovative grows furniture and packaging materials out of mycelium and plant waste – and Ikea is switching to this “mushroom foam” to reduce waste.
- Nexo airless bike tires never get flat (a solution to the 10 million tons of conventional, non-recyclable bike tires and tubes discarded every year)
- Taking on global food waste with a simple sheet of paper